Monday 4 June 2012

bridal fragrance



There lies an outrageous but true ritual behind the popular tradition of getting married in the month of June.  It dates all the way back in the 15th century, when Spring came around and people would come out after the long and very lean winter months and bathe communally.  Yes, communally.

It made sense that June was the best time to get married then, when people still smelled nice and that suggested a symbol of a good beginning for couples.  

Interestingly enough, brides used to carry fragrant bouquets of flowers not for aesthetics, but to actually mask the body odor that was asserting itself again.  (And there is no known historical record about what the grooms did on their end!)

What’s even stranger is the history behind the wedding cake.  In ancient Rome before icing was even invented, marriages were sealed when the groom smashed barley bread over the bride’s head for good fortune.

All this is too wild a trivia for me and I’m glad I live in a time when women do not smell putrid and have bits of bread all over their heads on their wedding day.




Last Saturday, the lovely Katie Federchuk married the love of her life Billy with a reception held at the beautiful Crystal Banquet Hall in Markham, Ontario.  She wanted a simple mostly-white wedding cake with a little touch of femininity. 

cake table adorned with fresh flower petals
notice that adorable 'i do' beneath the cake?

This 4 tiered cake is made of both Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd Buttercream and Strawberry Cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

view of the bride & groom and guests of honour
My Cricut Cake (that was about to be put up on Kijiji this weekend, details of which will be discussed in another post) was put to good use when I decided to give it whirl, and craft a white-on-white design on 2 tiers of the cake. 




By coincidence, the edible flowers on the cake matched the dazzling floral arrangements by Precious Flowers ‘N Things.  The reception hall looked divine, beautiful and um..yes, fragrant!


Best wishes to the happy couple!

Stay sweet!
Bebsy


More wedding cakes to be posted. Stay tuned!


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake crafting... love your cricut cake - the Cricut machine is a wonderful invention :D Perfectly decorated icing every time. Gorgeous!

    Wendy @ ECTaS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wendy! :-)
    I found myself falling in love with my cricut cake again while doing this wedding cake. When I tried using it in the past, preparing the gum paste/fondant was too cumbersome, and I found it much easier to cut using the good old Martha Stewart craft knife. (I was too cheap to purchase Cricut sugar sheets!) The poor machine just gathered dust in my basement the past year!
    I somehow got the hang of it last week, applying shortening on the fondant as it got cut. I was pretty surprised with the results!
    It is indeed a wonderful invention!
    Hugs
    Bebsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made this Wedding Cake??? I am so over my heels impressed ... lovely. Isn't it nice today's brides carry bouquets of flowers for their beauty and not to cover any odors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a gorgeous wedding cake and I loved learning all of the bridal trivia. Thank you for sharing it :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you!! Glad you enjoyed that! :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow I love this cake, the topper is so great as well. I'm a new blog follower from a blog hop, it would be great if you stopped on by and followed me at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, will definitely follow you!

      Delete
  6. This is beautiful! Love for you to share it at my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcie! Would love that! :-)
      Bebsy

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...